Italy is a holiday paradise, there’s no doubt about it. Sensational food, majestic architecture, sublime beaches, gorgeous countryside and much more – there’s something for everyone in this delightful part of the world.
If you’re planning a trip, it’s worth knowing how to unlock the full potential of Italy while you’re away. Read on to find out how you can do just that.
A little about travelling in Italy
The country’s many distinct regions offer different experiences and cultures for travellers. In the north, you’ll find stunning mountainous regions with views of the Alps and attractions such as the popular Lake Como and Lake Maggiore.
Italy’s big cities are always a popular choice for travellers, offering the widest varieties of food and drink, including the likes of Neapolitan pizza and a divine array of pasta dishes. Whether you choose Milan, Rome, Naples or Venice – each has something extraordinary for you to discover.
Specific regions like the Amalfi Coast in Campania and the picturesque rolling countryside of Tuscany give a taste of authentic Italian life, perfect if you’re looking to immerse yourself in traditional culture and surroundings.
How to unlock Italy’s true beauty
Seeing the real Italy can be difficult on some holidays. But, with the below tips, you can break out of the tourist trap and experience the best of what Italy has to offer.
- Experience more than a hotel or resort – If you’re making the journey to this beautiful country, do it justice by booking more than just a hotel or resort holiday. A villa in Italy can give you a more authentic experience or moving from place to place can help you take in a variety of locations and cultures on one trip.
- Learn a few local phrases – Speaking a bit of Italian is a show of respect and can help you feel more immersed throughout your visit. You don’t need to know much, perhaps just how to order certain drinks and foods, and how to say thank you.
- Get tips from locals – Tourist hotspots will usually offer products and services tailored to visitors, but you can often find the best food, drinks and places with a little help from the locals. This is essential if you’re looking to see the real Italy.
- Break out of your comfort zone – Most of us love pizza and pasta, but don’t be afraid to try something new. This also goes for activities and locations – you never know what you might find and experience if you just do something a bit different.
- Embrace Italian life – Living in Italy can be a little chaotic at times, but it’s a nation that knows how to have a good time. Once you’re accustomed to the constant noise of Vespas rushing past you and all of Italy’s other quirks, try to embrace the culture and live like an Italian. As the saying goes: “when in Rome”.