Visit Jacksonville prepares to welcome the holiday season with the annual launch of ‘Winter on the Water’, a series of festive events to spread the holiday spirit and joy, including nightly snowfalls and boat parades.
Winter on the Water events kick off in late November and conclude in January. Can’t-miss events include:
- Deck the Chairs: From November 23 – January 1, more than 40 American Red Cross lifeguard chairs decorated in coastal-themed designs and lights will be on display in Jacksonville Beach. Celebrating its 10th anniversary the event is a local favorite, which attracts thousands of visitors each year. Combining creative storytelling with public art, the event also draws awareness to local public arts education.
- Dazzling Nights at the Jacksonville Arboretum and Botanical Gardens: From November 25 – January 1, enjoy a family friendly transformation of the gardens into a winter wonderland with a million lights and magical displays.
- Jacksonville Light Boat Parade: Decorated boats of all shapes and sizes will float along the St. Johns River, November 26. The night concludes with a fireworks show, featuring one-of-a-kind waterfall fireworks on the Main Street and Acosta Bridge.
- Gingerbread House Extravaganza: A staple for 20 years, dozens of intricately decorated gingerbread houses will be on display at Old St. Andrews Church, December 8-27.
- Riverside Avondale Luminaria: Take a stroll down sidewalks illuminated with candles in the historic Riverside Avondale neighborhood, December 10.
- First Coast Nutcracker: The timeless masterpiece comes to life with the Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra, December 16-18.
- TaxSlayer Gator Bowl: On December 30, thousands of visitors come to Jacksonville for one of the most exciting bowl games in college football at the TIAA Bank Field in Downtown.
- New Year’s Eve Celebration: It’s not New Year’s without fireworks. At exactly midnight, the City lights up the waterfront and skyline for an amazing display over the St. Johns River.
For the complete list of Winter on the Water events go to: www.visitjacksonville.com/events/holidays/christmas-holidays/.