Are you someone who says, “I’d love to work out, but I travel all the time?” If so, this article is for you!
You can definitely work out while traveling and have a lot of fun doing it. It just takes a bit of imagination and some new ideas, which we will provide for you here.
Here are our best tips for working out while traveling.
Devise a workout routine you can do in your hotel room
The first thing you’ll want for workouts on the go and in your hotel room are some resistance bands. Get yourself some hip circle bands and do these exercises for a total of only 20 minutes:
- Squats, 20 reps. Put the hip circle band around your thighs, above your knees. Make sure you pause when going down into the squat, and that your back is straight.
- Leg lifts into crunches, 10 reps. Keep your lower back on the floor while you lift your legs up and into a crunch. For an added burn, put the hip circle band around your thighs and push slightly out with your legs as you bring them up.
- Plank, 30 seconds to 1 minute. You can also put the hip circle around your thighs if you wish.
- One arm rows, 10 reps. Use anything heavy, including your backpack or suitcase.
- Push-ups, or incline push-ups, depending on the space available: 10 reps.
Resistance bands are not only easily portable (pop them in a bag and you’re good to go), but they actually help you build strength just as effectively as weight training. Resistance bands also increase the intensity of any workout, as you work various muscle groups and the smaller sections around the muscles that stabilize your joints.
Not only will you get a more intense workout with resistance bands, but you’ll be less likely to get injured if you are mindful while you work.
Devise a workout routine you can do in a park
Parks are fantastic places to do workouts! Here are some ideas:
- Inclined push-ups using a park bench
- Sit-ups hooking your feet under a park bench handle, or inclined sit-ups under the grips of a slide (more challenging)
- Walking lunges: Do 10 reps each leg. These are excellent to warm up your hips as well as work your glutes
- Step-ups: Do 10 reps each leg. You can step up onto a park bench, a step, anything will do as long as it won’t move when you do!
- Pull-ups: Start with 10 reps. Find yourself some monkey bars or a sturdy tree branch, and you’re set!
You can find more park workout ideas here.
Do some research before you travel
You may find that your hotel or hostel has a gym already. In which case, pack your sneakers, and you’re good to go. But in many towns, if you’re visiting, you can ask at the local gym for a trial day, which is often free of charge. Day or week passes are usually available too, so you can take advantage of all the facilities while you’re there.
Plan hiking into your stay
When visiting a new place, you can make the most of exploring on foot. Do some research before you leave to find parks and trails, and once you’re there, ask the locals too. Local people can provide you with excellent ideas that you won’t even find on the internet.
Rather than taking buses or taxis, walk as much as possible. Allow yourself plenty of extra time to get to your destination. Be kind to yourself and allow yourself to explore where you are as much as possible. You’ll be sure to find some surprises!
Prioritize HIIT workouts
HIIT (high-intensity interval training) workouts are short but intense workouts that give you more sweat for your time. The idea behind HIIT workouts is that you work for short but intense bursts with your maximum effort for 30 seconds, followed by 30 seconds off. Do this for 20 rounds, and you’ll have had an intense yet effective workout, which will have only taken you 20 minutes!
Full-body exercises are what you want to do here, such as burpees, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, push-ups, and sprints.
An advantage of HIIT workouts is that because they get your heart rate up and are quite intense, you continue to burn calories at a higher rate for up to 48 hours! You can therefore enjoy that creamy curry with no guilt whatsoever.
Enjoy working out while traveling!