Tourissimo is thrilled to present a 7-day “Blue Zone” culinary cycling tour of Sardinia hosted by celebrated Chef Gabrielle Hamilton. Guests will experience the culinary specialties of both the coast and the mountains and discover the cultural roots of the island while cycling some of its most scenic and traffic-free roads. Chef Hamilton will play an important role in helping guests understand and experience the local cuisine and culinary techniques that tell the story of the territory. The tour is scheduled for May 26 – June 1, 2023. All meals included and e-bikes are available upon request.
“Many travelers describe Sardinia as being a continent unto itself, with each area and town having diverse landscapes and local traditions,” said Tourissimo co-founder Beppe Salerno. “Most of the recipes and dishes are surprisingly different from other areas of Italy, such as filindeu, the ‘thread of god,’ a special pasta considered the rarest in the world.”
Sardinia is one of the very few places in the world that boasts a “Blue Zone” designation. This refers to areas across the globe where people live longer and have healthier, more natural lifestyles steeped in traditions that have been carried on from generation to generation. Guests will ride straight through this Blue Zone, discovering its unique historical and cultural aspects while indulging in the authentic food and wine along the way.
“We will learn the secrets of longevity on this culinary cycling adventure,” said Tourissimo co-founder Heather Dowd. “In Blue Zones, a large number of inhabitants live to be 100 or older, and their way of life, including the food and wine, is a big part of this longevity.”
- Regional food that includes dishes not found elsewhere in Italy
- Lunch with a shepherd in a unique setting
- Village of Oliena and its wine tradition
- Lecture about Sardinia’s Blue Zone
- Visit the Bronze Age site of Santa Cristina with its unique water temple
- The primordial Gennargentu Mountain Range
- Orgosolo, the painted village, famous for its murals rich with social commentary
- Barbagia and Ogliastra geographical and cultural areas that are the true soul of Sardinia
- Fantastic ride from Genna Silana Pass
- Day cruise along the “Selvaggio Blue” coastline
- Stunning cycling in the rural inner island and along the Mediterranean coast