Butterfield & Robinson, the world’s premier active travel company, introduces Berlin to Prague Biking, a six day cycling adventure through historic European cities, the lush Spreewald and medieval countryside with hundreds of miles of dedicated bike paths. Travellers will tour the historic and evolving cities of Berlin, Dresden and Prague, choosing between short rides or longer rural routes peppered between luxurious stays in outstanding accommodations.
“From magnificent cities and remote biking through small villages, to unbeatable spa treatments and serene natural settings, Berlin to Prague Biking is an opportunity to truly slow down to see the world,” says Chris Mark, B&R’s Director, Central & Eastern Europe. “Cycling aside, the hotels have a wellness focus and are situated in fairy tale settings: deep in the heart of the Spreewald; inside a former royal palace in Dresden; and at the foot of Prague castle.”
From a perfect introductory ride through the flat Spreewald to gliding along the Elbe River Valley and on bike paths in the Swiss Saxony, travellers will ride through the former East Germany, the countryside and woodlands south of Berlin and towards what is considered Europe’s most gorgeous city, Dresden. While visiting the city itself is a rich experience, travellers will have the chance to see the Green Vault in Dresden, one of the richest treasure chambers in the world during a city walking tour.
“Second only to the lineup of cities and sights on the trip is our network of local guides with decades of experience in Berlin, Dresden and Prague,” says Lewis Evans, expert Trip Designer for Eastern Europe, B&R. “Whether capturing the brilliance of the oldest porcelain producer in the world in Meissen, or leading an otherworldly walk in Prague, our local guides really shine on this trip.”
Berlin to Prague Biking Highlights
- Departing Berlin, travellers will venture to the western edge of the Spree Forest before reaching open countryside dotted with woodland and small silver rivers. Riding through the UNESCO protected Biosphere Reserve, travellers will then have the choice of a longer option through the tranquil Spreewald or the short, direct route to the hotel for a festive dinner.
- Ride along the banks of the Elbe River Valley en route to a private tour of the world-famous Meissen porcelain factory. The Albrechtsburg Castle acts as a looming beacon over the town of Meissen, known as the “cradle” of Saxony. From there, travellers trek along a dedicated bike path towards Saxony’s royal capital, Dresden, one of Europe’s finest cities.
- Following a day exploring baroque Dresden, travellers will reach the Czech town of Melnik to start a day of riverside biking, following the Vltava bike path all the way to Prague. Prior to a final indulgent dinner, travellers will take part in an unbeatable Prague walking tour guided by a long-time friend of B&R and first-hand witness to the Velvet Revolution.
- The level of activity for Berlin to Prague Biking is Occasional, as the riding is mostly flat, taking place on bike paths and quiet roads. Given that the routes are moderately flat throughout the trip, there are options for longer rides almost every day.
- Zur Bleiche Resort & Spa, Burg – This grand, luxurious resort and wellness centre was once a royal property, and was established as a hotel 25 years ago. The property is renowned for its massage and spa treatment, offering a long list of services to guests.
- Hotel Kempinski Tsachenbergpalais, Dresden – Situated between the opera house and Dresden Castle, the Taschenbergpalais was first built in 1706 under August the Strong, and reconstructed following the Dresden bombing. The impressive residence hosts regal amenities such as sitting rooms, courtyards, spa and sauna.
- The Augustine Hotel, Prague – Boasting an extensive spa, serene surroundings and contemporary décor, the Augustine is a former monastery in an unbeatable location. An urban retreat nestled at the foot of Prague castle, the spa offering and architectural features alone will make it tough to bring the trip to an end.
- The 6 days / 5 nights Berlin to Prague Biking trip runs May through September next year from US$4,995, with single supplements starting at $700.
- For more information or to download the Berlin to Prague Biking itinerary, visit: www.butterfield.com/berlin-to-prague-biking.