Grand Velas Riviera Maya, the AAA Five Diamond luxury all-inclusive resort located on Mexico’s Caribbean coast, introduces a new culinary experience honoring the country’s traditions of artisanal chocolate and mezcal. Guests are invited to embark on a guided tasting journey led by the resort’s sommelier, where they will explore a curated selection of dark and white Mexican artisan chocolates from Campeche on the Gulf Coast of Mexico. Each chocolate is expertly paired with a mezcal to elevate the tasting notes of both the spirit and the cacao. Revered by the ancient indigenous Mayan and Aztec civilizations, cacao was declared “the food of the gods,” and served a cherished role as an ingredient in ceremonial beverages and also as a form of currency. Similarly, mezcal, distilled from the heart of the agave plant, carries centuries of Mexican heritage and craftsmanship.
Menu highlights for the Mezcal and Chocolate Pairing include:
- Mezcal Gin MG x Passion Fruit Infused White Chocolate
- Flavor Profile: Mezcal Gin is a small-batch handcrafted spirit that brings together the complex body and flavors of artisanal Mezcal with the freshness and perfume of Gin. The sweetness of the wild Cenizo agave complements the tropical notes and freshness of the passion fruit.
- Mezcal Montelobos Joven Ensamble x Foie Gras Infused Dark Chocolate
- Flavor Profile: Montelobos Ensamble is made from a blend of agaves with body and acidity that highlights smoke and fruit. The mezcal’s smoky notes of nutmeg and pink pepper provide a flavor explosion that contrasts with the richness of the foie gras.
- Contraluz Cristalino Mezcal x Raspberry Infused Dark Chocolate
- Flavor Profile: Contraluz Cristalino Mezcal is matured for approximately six months in charred American oak barrels and filtered through activated charcoal, resulting in a crystal-clear liquid with an elegant blend of aromas and flavors. Citrus and floral notes stand out, harmonizing with the acidity and tropical aromas of the raspberry.
- Gracias a Dios Reposado x Mole Infused Dark Chocolate
- Flavor Profile: Gracias a Dios Reposado offers a trifecta of smoke, with charcoal, pipe tobacco and beach barbecue, complemented by herbaceous notes of mint, rosemary, and chive. Spicy and smoky from a barrel-aging, the spirit works in tandem with the toasted notes of the chiles and dried fruits in the mole.